DOS Expected to Resume Limited Stateside Visa Renewals in Early 2024
October 25, 2023
The Department of State has sent to the Federal Register a notice called "Pilot Program to Resume Renewal of H-1B Nonimmigrant Visas for Certain Qualified Noncitizens." Once published, this notice will provide details about the pilot program for stateside visa stamp renewals.
Although details of the pilot program have not been published yet, we have learned from the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) the program will:
- Begin in early 2024;
- Be limited to H-1B principals only;
- Be limited to nationals of countries that are not subject to reciprocity fees;
- India will be one of the eligible countries to participate in the pilot program;
- Have eligibility requirements like those for participation in the interview waiver program;
- Be available for 20,000 applicants; and
- Be voluntary participation.
This program will be a welcome alternative to applying for visa stamps abroad and will likely save time and money as well as avoid delays due to adminstrative processing at the U.S. consular posts.
News Alert Signup